7428 Venusia comptaria
|Photographs are the copyrighted property of each photographer listed. Contact individual photographers for permission to use for any purpose.|
© Nolie Schneider
||Throuought eastern US and Canada west to at least Alberta based on BOLD DNA barcode.
Type locality (comptaria): Nova Scotia.
Type locality (form palumbes): Ithica, NY.
Type locality (perlineata): Albany, NY.
Type locality (salienta): not given, however Pearsall (1905) comments, "... ground colour of both wings above, pale ashen in Eastern nearly white in Western [California (Pearsall 1906)] specimens, sparingly mixed with dark brown or black scales."
|Males have antennae filiform and strongly ciliate beneath.
- Pinned specimens of related species. (Hint: select View by Region on the related species page.)
||• Tephrosia comptaria Walker, 1860
• Venusia palumbes Franclemont, 1938
• Larentia perlineata Packard, 1874
• Euchoeca salienta Pearsall, 1905
- Barcode of Life (BOLD) - Caution: Some specimens shown may not be sequenced. DNA barcode provides evidence of relatedness not proof of identification.
- Barcode of Life (BOLD) - BIN: BOLD:ABX5421
- Dyar, H.G., 1906. A note on the Euchoeca comptaria muddle. The Canadian Entomologist, 38: 110.
- Franclemont, J.G., 1938. Descriptions of new melanic forms (Lepidoptera: Geometridae, Noctuidae and Arctiidae). Entomological News, 49: 108.
- Packard, A.S., 1874. Catalogue of the Phalaenidae of California. No. 2. Proceedings of the Boston Society of Natural History, 16: 20.
- Packard, A.S., 1876. A monograph of the geometrid moths or Phalaenidae of the United States. Report (Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories (U.S.)), 10: 83; pl. 8, figs. 25, 68 (perlineata).
- Pearsall, R.F., 1905. The genus Venusia and its included species. The Canadian Entomologist, 37: 126.
- Pearsall, R.F., 1905. Whom shall we follow?. The Canadian Entomologist, 37: 332.
- Pearsall, R.F., 1906. What Euchoe comptaria, Walk., really is. The Canadian Entomologist, 37: 33-38.
- Prout, L.B., 1909. On the genera Venusia, Euchceca and Hydrelia. The Canadian Entomologist, 41: 93-94.
- Species Page at BugGuide.Net
- Species Page at Mass Moths
- Taylor, G.W., 1905. The genus Venusia and its included species. The Canadian Entomologist, 37: 239-240.
- Taylor, G.W., 1906. A further note on Euchoeca Comptaria and the allied species. The Canadian Entomologist, 38: 203-204.
- Walker, F., 1860. Gemeotrites. List of the Specimens of Lepidopterous Insects in the Collection of the British Museum, 21: 406.
© Anthony W. Thomas - f.
© Naomi Smith
© Carol Wolf
20mm - LG
– © Jim Vargo